Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Saving Money - Logical Tips

I'm picking up some points from "No Dumb Ways to Save: 7 Super Easy Ways to Stash Away More Money" article to be shared around. The following are 2 tips that are quite logical and reasonable, and I think they are workable for me.

MASTER THE GROCERY CHECKOUT
"At the grocery store, I organize the food on the conveyor belt at the register by price, with the most expensive items at the back. That way, I can keep an eye on the total and easily pluck the pricier stuff off if I'm nearing my budget,"
>> This requires practice and patience. The more you do it, the cleverer and richer you will become. This has some similarities with the "Sleep On It" tip, whereby the delay is practised during shopping. You have to think slow and thorough, but act fast while you are queuing in the line.


SLEEP ON IT
Institute a 24-hour wait period before purchasing anything on your "want" list. "It's amazing what a day can do to your desire level!" says REDBOOK's money expert, Beth Kobliner. "This rule has saved me thousands in what would have been regretted splurges over the years."
>> This is a very effective one. I would say most of the dream items in my mind are not essential, and the purchase can be delayed. Once I am allowed to think over it again, the sudden urge to buy will die off eventually. One of the example is iPad 2; looks good, feels good, but if I lied to myself to wait for another day, I will still have the good feeling because of the money saved. RM1,500 is not a small sum to many, but it is to me...

No comments: