Pages

Sunday, August 01, 2010

We Need Recycling Containers

I realized that recycling activity is easy said than done. Since I am an office worker, I faced with the problem of keeping lots of printed papers, and they are all stashed under my desk. I tried using paper box to segregate them, separating those that can be reprinted, cannot be reprinted and confidential. But often, I ended up with piles of papers mixed up and they needed my attention again few months later. Not only am I facing this problem, most of my colleagues are also facing them.



This is what I need to solve my headache: A Recycle Paper Collector.   The bigger container can be used for paper cannot be reused and ready to dump, while the smaller container shall hold the recyclable and reprinted papers.

 
It is common to see used PET bottles, newspapers and biscuit tin containers in our cafeteria. They are usually thrown directly into the waste bin, and they ended up in the garbage truck and finally in the landfill. Plastic bags are treated as waste and they are also thrown into the bin. Some of my environmentally-conscious colleagues will keep some of the plastic bags in the cabinet, but because they are not properly kept, they became an eyesore whereby a one-foot cabinet was filled up entirely with plastic bags over time.

One way to minimize the plastic bags from filling up the cabinet is to make it into smaller size, and place them into a different container separately, such as the Recycle Paper Collector. The small container can also be treated as a storage place for the plastic bags.

 


The Public Square Recycling System is a good solution towards environmental practice of waste segregation. The idea of putting different color bins with different lid gives clarity and better understanding on "what goes into which".




No comments: