Pages

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Ipoh Delicacies

Other than for business, people go to Ipoh for food. Sightseeing may be a possibility, but food is still the priority. What I think surprising about eating in Ipoh is that the local people always go for noodles, and therefore easier to find one than finding a rice stall. I had a record of having Hor Fun for breakfast, Asam Laksa with Fried Fish Meat balls for lunch and Cantonese Fried Mee for dinner. Then, I continued with Char Kuey Teow for breakfast the next morning.

I noticed Salt Baked Chicken (Yim Gook Kei) is one of the favourite and must buy Ipoh delicacies for KL people lately. There are several such shops in a small area of 50 meter square around the old town and this explains its popularity. There is a shop introduced to me by an Ipoh colleague, and it is located at Jalan Theatre. The price is RM17/box and the chicken comes with some Chinese herbs wrapped in wax paper.



Another food that is becoming a hit among my colleagues is Kaya Puff. I went to the shop that is located at Jalan Mustapha Al-Bakri, and found around 6 people queuing. All of them were waiting for the hot and fluffy Kaya Puff that cost only 70 sen/pc. Customers patronizing the shop usually leave with at least 2 boxes, and there was a lady who purchased 10 boxes (100 pieces).


I just have a question to throw to Ipoh locals. In your opinion, are they the best? Feel free to recommend to me if you think otherwise. I shall try it in my next trip to Ipoh.

No comments: