Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Selangor : Super League Champ on the way

Selangor is leading the table in this year's Super League, followed closely by Perlis. We have another 5 matches to go, and I am confident our Selangor is able to maintain their good run and become this year's champ. We already have the Charity Shields (Piala Sumbangsih) and FA Cup in our pocket.



I started to support them in 1986 and the first match I watched on TV was a Malaysia Cup final, where Selangor defeated Johor 6-1. The late Mokhtar Dahari was still playing at that time. Then, I graduated to watching live at Stadium Merdeka in 1989. Selangor moved to their current home ground, Stadium Shah Alam in mid-90s.


> Stadium Shah Alam from Google Earth

I was with my gang of kaki bola at the Stadium Shah Alam when they won the Malaysia Cup for 3 consecutive seasons from 1995~1997 beating Pahang, Sabah and Pahang. After that, it was down-and-up from Selangor, and they even spent a season in Division 2. But I kept on watching them periodically at the stadium without my kakis; driving alone to Shah Alam, paying RM2 for toll, RM2 for parking, RM2 for mineral water and RM10 for the ticket.

This season, Selangor is again the team to watch. Of course you don't compare them with English/Barclays Premier League teams. It is like we still love our pan mee even though spaghetti taste much better.

Hopefully, our Merah Kuning Red Giant team cheers us up this season. I will share with you their lagu kegemilangan when they are the confirmed champ.

No comments: