Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Malaysian Planning To Estonia

There seems to be a chance for me to visit a relatively unknown country, Estonia soon. For me, it's not unknown, but rather unfamiliar. I will start to make to make the trip plan on my own, just like my other trips to Europe. This will be quite a challenge, since I'm not sure if they are as advanced in the infrastructure as their Scandinavian neighbours, and if the city of Tallinn, its capital is safe enough for foreign walkers like me.



A check on the Lonely Planet and Visitestonia.com shows some interesting facts about Estonia.
1) Estonia was occupied by the Soviets for decades but Estonia sees itself as more influenced by Nordic tastes and traditions - Scandinavia with a twist.
2) Tallinn is our medieval capital and by far the biggest city, with a population of around 400,000. In 2011 Tallinn will be the European Capital of Culture.
3) It is the closest capital city to capitals of Finland (Helsinki, 80km); Latvia (Riga, 315km) and Sweden (Stockholm, 380km).
4) Euro is the official currency beginning 2011.
5) Lennart Meri Tallinn Airport is the main airport.
6) Estonian and Russian are the most common languages, though you won’t have any trouble with English (especially in the service sector) and German and Finnish are quite widely spoken.
7) Recommended things to buy from Estonia: Estonian handicraft, textile, wooden kitchen utensils, and traditional Estonian jewellery.

I think I will most likely end up within Tallinn, and this should be a good opportunity to plant my footprint into an unknown land. Another quick check on the airfare shows that the cheapest to date for travel from Kuala Lumpur to Tallinn would be by KLM via Amsterdam, and the cost is close to RM5,000. Not a cheap destination to fly to, but hopefully, things are cheap within the country. Within Tallinn city, there is a possibility of doing hop-in-hop-off, and this should be one of the option to choose from if the city really look unsafe. Else, it will be a solely walking trip for me.




To save the time and minimize the hassle of travelling back and forth between Sweden and Estonia, I don't discount the possibility of doing open jaw flight. Meaning that, flying in to Tallinn and flying out from Stockholm Arlanda. In case I'm adventurous enough, I could even fly out via some other spots such as Helsinki or St Petersburg.

No comments: